Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Friday, October 28, 2016

The Great Pulp Heroes - Don Hutchison

After buying figures from Pulp Miniatures to paint for the LOA Back of Beyond badge, I dug through the website a bit more to figure out what the whole pulp thing was about, because you know research. Bob recommended "The Great Pulp Heroes" by Don Hutchison and I decided that it was as good a place to start as any. My edition is newer than the one Bob shows on the website and supposedly mine fixes a lot of errors found in the earlier edition.

This is truly a fascinating book. Since I didn't really know anything about this explosion of literature in American History I wouldn't have found anything wrong with it. Well written and captivating. It has certainly whetted my appetite for more pulp! I have found that most of the Shadow novels are being re-released and I'm going to have to find some of those just to sample the actual writing from this era. Likewise I hope to find some reprints of the early Phantom comic books (I don't need collectibles!).

I thank Bob for his recommendation and he can probably look forward to seeing some more orders from me!




No comments:

Post a Comment