Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, June 11, 2012

Colorado - High Park Fire

I love living in Colorado. However, there are some downsides to living here. The High Park Fire is just 15 miles west of Fort Collins where I spent the weekend. Although I'm sure you can find all kinds of pictures on the web about it I have a few of my own. Currently this fire has consumed 37,000 acres and destroyed more than 100 structures and I'm sure a many of those are homes. Its a danger you have to be prepared for when you live in an arid climate like ours. These fires can spread fast, when you get the order evacuate you just go, you don't wait thinking you have another 30 minutes to get out, that's how people die.

Smoke from the southern end of the fire. Those dark clouds aren't storm clouds that's all smoke from the fire.
Panning to the north. I think the lighter orange in the clouds is a reflection of the fire, but I'm not sure about that.
My first view of the smoke from where I was staying. From here it actually looked like it was in Ft Collins itself because of the orange tint at the bottom of the smoke cloud.
Later in the day, this is a shot of the moon as it was setting behind the smoke clouds. It doesn't seem as red in the photograph as it did when I took the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment