Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, June 12, 2017

World War II Project - Buildings - Railway Station - Part II

I'm trying to get this building off the workbench a little faster than the last one. I did a lot of dry fitting of parts and as the pictures will show I still managed to make a mistake, that's about par for the course around here. 

I ended up with 1/16 and 3/32 inch thick basswood for the brickwork. After taking a serious look at the dry fitting of the parts I decided it was safe to do most of the assembly first before I needed to do the brickwork. 

I spend the bulk of the evening painting the interior with an air brush. Since this is not a focal point and after the amount of time I spent on the interior of the Dormer House I decided to take some short cuts. I first painted the interior edges with a dark reddish brown paint. I followed that up with a more or less dingy white leaving a soft vague edge against the brown. I then took pure white and did the center of the wall. It makes for a nice effect and will give the interior a finished look without a lot of work. If it was a destroyed building where the interior was visible most of the time I would have taken a different approach. Here the inside is only going to be seen when troops are in place.

After I finished the inside painting (well mostly apparently I did miss doing the white on one wall), I went ahead and assembled the walls. I was prepared for some pretty tight fits at this point as even a thin layer of paint is usually enough to hamper how the parts fit together when dealing with a laser cut kit. Since I was prepared for this I didn't actually break anything gluing it together this time.

Here is a look at the fruit of the evenings labors:



Now that's a nice joint. Of course its going to be covered by some brick paper

The first indication that I have put something together wrong, a gap where there should not be one. I didn't slot a wall into the right slot on the other end. Easily fixed at this point fortunately. At the other end is a step and the piece has two slots, I inserted it into the wrong slot and so came up with this gap. However, had there been a  slot somewhere on the basepiece and a tab on this wall I could have avoided the error and the supporting structure would have been a bit more sturdy. In the long run I fixed it and can move on.

The foundation is finished. I then dry fitted everything else together just to check on clearances and if I needed to do the decorative brickwork now or if it could wait. Waiting will work in this case.
I remembered to prime the walls this time. MDF just soaks up paint so primer is very important.

The edging layer of dark reddish brown

The dirty white mid tone concentrated to the center

And the pure white added after that.

The center section glued together. Note the white thumbprint. It doesn't seem to matter how careful I am I still manage to get paint someplace it shouldn't be.



The wings glued together and ready to be attached to the center.

Glues up quite nicely

And the other side

And a quick check to make sure it actually fits on the foundation. There is a large waiting platform piece that will cover the area between the foundation wall and the building itself, its not a mistake this time!

I'll need to stop assembly at this point to do the brickwork on the exterior. I want to do the exterior brick, the interior floors and the chimney at the same time.

2 comments: