Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, December 14, 2015

Building Calamity 16 - The "Hardware" Store - Cutting and Dry Fitting

The next building for Calamity ups the difficulty level a bit more. This is a two story false front "Hardware" store. While it will definitely be a store I'm not sure exactly what the merchandise will be but for purposes of this build it will be the Hardware Store. This building is based on a kit from Wild West Scale Model Builders, I own and have assembled the HO scale version of this kit. Unfortunately I shifted my interest in HO from steam era to a more modern era and this building not only went unused but suffered damage when it fell off a shelf. Using the pieces I developed the measurements for my 1/56th version for Calamity.

This time I drew out the pieces directly on 2mm foamed PVC sheet. This one took a bit more than two sheets. Along with being a more traditional 2 story false front building I'm including a few internal walls just like the original kit. The only thing missing at this point is the exterior staircase that leads to the second story. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to approach that particular feature yet. The roof offers some complexities as it essentially has three dormers; two with windows and one with a door.

A couple of things that I still need to work out are if I want the second floor to lift off as a unit and how I will keep it in place and making the roof removable. I'll work these things out as I go along. The other thing I'm going to do with this one is to make custom windows and doors rather than use commercial parts. I'm thinking that the 1mm thick PVC sheet can be used to build up the doors and windows. We will see!

Once I had most of the pieces drawn on the PVC I went ahead and cut everything out and did a little dry fitting to make sure that what I drew will actually fit together. The floors and the interior walls I didn't draw until I was sure everything was lining up.

So this is where I'm at before I start adding planking and wood grain detail.

Laying out the pieces basically took two full sheets, plus a little bit more. What is missing from this initial drawing work are the floors and the interior walls. Three buildings is made a serious impact on my stock of 2mm foamed PVC sheets. Looks like I'll have to get some more of that. I have used a little bit of the 1mm stuff and none of the 3mm stock. The 3mm stock will be used on the walls of the bigger buildings like the saloon where I think I will need a lot more interior support.

Using my metal blocks to hold things in place and make sure my angles are right I lay out the floor. I need a second one for to go on the second story.

The front with the windows and doors drawn out and the roof peak penciled in so I have a guide for the back. I'll transfer this to the back side of the false front to help support the roof and lay in the planking for the back side of the false front.

The left side of the building with four windows.

The right side is actually drawn on the inside, I wasn't thinking when I layed it out for cutting. The door for the second floor is on this side and there are no windows since they would be covered by the exterior staircase.

Messing around with the floor for the 2nd story and the interior wall.

The interior walls for the first story in place

Fitting the second story into place

Second story in place and with all the walls in place. Just look at this I think I'm going to need the 2nd story to lift off  from the 1st story otherwise it will be hard to maneuver miniatures around on the 1st story.

The back extension. This will definitely look like something added to the store after it was originally completed.

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting looking shape, and I can see that it is a couple of steps up from the

    If you want to have it "playable", you will need to figure out how to part the building. You could either go with removable floors and whole walls, or each floor built as a "tray" that stacks. Alternatively, you could go doll house style, and have the side come off, which might be good with the staircase, and depending on the orientation of your siding, might help with weathering too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I want it to come apart like a tray. But I'm going to dwell on it a bit more.

      Delete