Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Prepping for the Workshop

Later this month there is a three day painting workshop here in Denver with Alfonso "Banshee" Giraldes. I have been on the fence as the cost is quite high and there has been a lot going on here lately (most of which has been the reason I haven't written any posts this month). I had paid a deposit and had the weekends confused. So in the end I'll be able to pay my share out of my next check and managed to pick up some of the extra supplies I'll need.

I already have the bust we will be working on and I just need to get it cleaned up and ready for paint. We will be priming on site so just hitting the mold lines and mounting it for painting will be enough. I hit Dick Blick for a larger wet palette (its like the size of an aircraft carrier) and watercolor paper for the color theory portion of the workshop on Friday. While I was at it I picked up some artist tube acrylics (a sample pack) as well as the Golden Fluid Acrylics that I have had on my list for a different painting style that I want to try out.

I should have looked closer at the colors in the sample pack, while it has a nice selection it is missing the siennas and the umbers that are pretty standard for canvas painting.

So things are coming back together and I'll be getting some work in on the models for Calamity. I'm ready to do some more work on the model.

As opposed to the standard artist tube colors these are fluid like the paints I normally use. They are much thinner out of the bottle and would probably make good base coats right out of the bottle. However the style of painting I'm going to experiment with uses lots of washes and glazes so these will be thinned out even more.


The artist tube colors, kind of an odd selection of colors. I guess I was expecting more of student pack rather than this somewhat odd selection.

Watorcolor paper, two pads because I'm messy

The aircraft carrier sized palette, 16"x12"!

I'll consider what else I want to put in my kit for this workshop. My airbrush and backup compressor for sure just for priming and not having to wait in line. I'll bring my own cleaners too, Lili's likes to use isopropyl alcohol and I don't anymore. Paint brushes for sure but I'll need a bigger one for the color theory portion. That sounds like that's about it. I'm sure I'll think of something else.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope to! Hopefully he can teach an old dog some new tricks!

      Delete
  2. I have a single random bottle of the Golden fluid Acrylics, and I like it quite a bit, so I will be interested to see how you get on with a whole set of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I just need to dig up the mini that I want to try out the washing technique on and see how it goes.

      Delete