Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spraybooth and Paint

I like using my airbrush but I don't use it as often as I would like to. In the last month I have made a concerted effort to acquire more paint that won't need as much work to get it through the brush. To start I'm trying out the Vallejo Model Air paints. I have given up reading reviews on paint for the airbrush, it seems to either work for you or it doesn't. Since I have managed to get Vallejo Model color to flow through the airbrush I figured the Model Air should be a snap. Hopefully I can test that theory out in the next couple of weeks.
The Artograph spraybooth I ordered also arrived. I guess I should have read the description more carefully. Although the base is heavy steel construction the top and sides are actually cardboard. I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter what they are made of as long as air is getting pulled down through the filters. Again something that I hope to be able to try out in the next couple of weeks.
So much paint, so little time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kris, if you're interested, I've got some 26ga galvanized steel at the house, might even have enough to replace those cardboard sides.

    Lemme know.

    Ken Rehor
    k3ndawg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a verdict on the Vallejo Model Air? One of my biggest barriers for not currently having an airbrush is the (reported) needed tweaking to get paint to flow through. I'm a simple guy, I'd like to put some paint in, let it flow, clean up, and let dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I like the Vallejo Model Air quite a bit. I thin all my colors down at least a little bit even those designed to flow through airbrushes. I personally haven't had any problems with the model air but then I have only shot the primer grey, and a few other colors through it. I have shot regular Vallejo Model Color as well as craft paints through my airbrush, mixing it about 50/50 with windex and adjusting from there. I now prefer to use actual airbrush thinner as that seems to give less problems in the long run. Tweaking the paint to get it to flow through the airbrush is just part of the process. The quality of the airbrush has as much to do with it as anything else. Quality tools help smooth out the process a lot. A quality (Iwata or Harder & Steenbeck) airbrush and good compressor (do not even bother with the little cans of compressed air, that will frustrate you more than anything else) are almost more important than the paint. But, I do like the Model Air and for me it hasn't required a lot of tweaking.

    ReplyDelete